Fibromyalgia Specialist & Pediatric Consultant
Diagnosis, Education and Treatment Coordination for Adults and Children
Dr. Melissa Congdon’s focus currently includes:
● Diagnosis of fibromyalgia in children and adults, using patient history and a targeted physical exam for accurate diagnosis
● Development of a comprehensive treatment program for fibromyalgia patients to help spur recovery focusing on nutrition, exercise, and natural modalities
● Administration of the guaifenesin protocol
● Pediatric consultations focusing on developmental and behavioral issues
Dr. Melissa Congdon is board certified in pediatrics, and sees children and adults in her fibromyalgia and pediatric consulting practice.
Dr. Congdon graduated cum laude from Williams College with Highest Honors in Psychology. She completed the pre-medical curriculum at the College of General Studies at Columbia University and then attended medical school at University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. She completed pediatric internship and residency training at the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles.
Dr. Congdon practiced general pediatrics in Glendale, California and Mill Valley, California for 18 years until severe fibromyalgia symptoms forced her to retire from medical practice in 2008. Her diagnosis led her to a comprehensive study of the various treatment options for fibromyalgia. Using a combination of diet, exercise, acupuncture, supplements, medications, the guaifenesin protocol, and other modalities, she was able to return to medical practice in 2009, and chose to become a fibromyalgia consultant. She trained with fibromyalgia expert and author Dr. R. Paul St. Amand, Internist, Endocrinologist, and Associate Professor at the Harbor UCLA Medical Center.
Since 2009 Dr. Congdon has treated hundreds of adults and children with fibromyalgia. Through personal and professional experience she has found the 3 “game changers” in fibromyalgia recovery are:
- Eating foods that help you feel well (and for 40% of fibromyalgia patients that means following a specific low carbohydrate diet)
- Consistent aerobic exercise (done correctly as to prevent overexertion and “crashing”)
- The guaifenesin protocol
Inspired by her fibromyalgia patients, Dr. Congdon produced a 30 minute documentary “Fibromyalgia: Getting Our Lives Back—Success Stories on the Guaifenesin Protocol” which she has made available for free online for everyone to learn more about fibromyalgia and this treatment option: http://youtu.be/DtPPoOBeXTM
Dr. Congdon’s fibromyalgia practice consists of much more than administering the guaifenesin protocol. She helps her patients understand what forces may be driving their pain and fatigue. She helps answer questions such as:
- What is the relationship between fibromyalgia and sleep apnea?
- You may have been told your Vitamin D level is in the normal range, but is your level high enough to possibly reduce fibromyalgia symptoms?
- What is neuromodulation, and could it help your chronic pain?
- Should you be taking vitamins, and if so—which ones?
- What types of complementary medicine may help decrease your symptoms—acupuncture, tai chi, the Rosen method, yoga, meditation, others?
- Do you have an active virus in your system that could be increasing your symptoms?
- Do you have Lyme disease as well as fibromyalgia?
- How can fibromyalgia patients best prepare for an upcoming surgery?
- Have you tried every diet known to man without being able to keep the weight off and feel better? Is there a food plan that will help you?
Even though Dr. Congdon chose to focus on fibromyalgia medicine after her recovery from fibromyalgia symptoms, caring for children is her first love. After 18 years of private practice experience as a board certified pediatrician, an undergraduate degree in psychology, and the experience gained in raising 2 children of her own, Dr. Congdon offers pediatric consultations to families in the following areas:
- Evaluation and management of complex or chronic medical issues
- Consultation and counseling on parenting and behavioral issues (from newborns to adolescents)
- Review of treatment plans, medical options and providing second opinions
- Providing ongoing support, coaching and counseling of treatment and medical progress
To make an appointment please call Dr. Congdon’s office at 415-927-0600 .
Two Mondays per month: 12pm – 4pm (Mill Valley)
Wednesdays: 9 am – 2 pm (Mill Valley)
Fridays: 9 am – 1:30 pm (San Francisco)
New Patient Evaluation (75 minutes) including complete review of past medical history, in office examination, and comprehensive write up of assessment and plan $350
60 minute follow up appointment $250
30 minute follow up appointment $140
Informational Phone or Skype Consult
Dr. Congdon can answer general questions about fibromyalgia and the guaifenesin protocol over the phone/Skype. She cannot diagnose fibromyalgia or make specific treatment recommendations without an in-office visit, but if you would like general information—this option is for you. Please contact the office if you would like to book this service.
60 minutes $250
30 minutes $140
Payment is expected at the end of the appointment. We accept cash, check, VISA, or MasterCard. There is a $25 fee for each returned check.
Dr. Congdon does not accept any health insurance plans at Rising Phoenix Integrative Medicine Center. After the visit, patients will be given a superbill with appropriate CPT/ICD10 diagnostic codes for them to submit to their insurance plan to seek out-of-plan reimbursement (directly to the patients).
Clients must provide four calendar days notice to either cancel or reschedule an appointment. If less than four days notice is provided, clients will be charged 50% of the full fee for the appointment.
We require that all patients have a current credit card on file to use for billing “late cancellation” fees.
Please call (415) 927-0600 to leave your return phone number and a message with notice of cancellation or to reschedule.
Forms & Information
Click to download.